Having had the good fortune to work with a broad range of entrepreneurs and get a front-row seat to the foundations of their success, I thought it'd be good to share 10 key tips that I've found work 100% of the time to increase your odds of startup success. Try to execute on as many of these as you can!
- Be raised with access to clean drinking water and sanitation. (Every tech billionaire I've ever spoken to has a toilet!)
- Try to be born in a region that is politically and militarily stable.
- Grow up with a family that is as steady and secure as possible.
- Have access to at least a basic free education in core subjects.
- Avoid being abused by family members, loved ones, friends or acquaintances during the formative years of your life.
- Be fluent in English, or have time to dedicate to continuously improving your language skills.
- Make sure there's enough disposable income available to support your learning technology at a younger age.
- If you must be a member of an underrepresented community or a woman, get comfortable with suppressing your identity. If not, follow a numbingly conventional definition of dominant masculinity.
- Be within a narrow range of physical norms for appearance and ability, as defined by the comfort level of strangers.
- Practice articulating your cultural, technological or social aspirations exclusively in economic terms.
By following these ten simple tips, you'll massively increase the odds of success of your startup! I guarantee it, or your money back.